Monday, August 30, 2010

The right mindset and building your dream life...

The right mindset will be THE determining factor in building your dream life. I played sports growing up and into college and my coaches were always going on and on about how our mindset determines where we'll end up, attitude determines altitude, I probably heard this at least 1,000 times. I always thought it was a bunch of crap, but I finally got it just a few years ago and it's at that point when I started to notice major changes in my life and career.

I've never been an outwardly negative person, but internally I always questioned myself, questioned whether or not I was doing the right thing or if I was doing enough of the right things. I really limited myself because in my mind I was someone that was suppossed to be comfortable, but not wealthy. As I sit here today I have not yet achieved the level of wealth that I strive for, but since my mindset has changed I have seen noticeable improvements in my financial life in a relatively short period of time. I decided what it was I wanted, why I wanted it, and I set out to focus my mind on it each and every day. From there my mind took over and new opportunities began to pop up that I had never dreamed of!

There are some wonderful books you can read to learn more about how your thoughts impact your life. Here's a few:

As a Man Thinketh
Think & Grow Rich
The Secret

There are plenty more, but those are a few that I've read that are great. My personal favorite though is Think & Grow Rich. Written by Napoleon Hill, the book spends a lot of time discussing how your mindset directly impacts where you end up in life. Beyond just the general discussion regarding mindset Hill goes into specific action steps that can be taken to ensure your mind is well be fed each day with positive thoughts.

In Think & Grow Rich Napoleon Hill was engaged by Dale Carnegie to conduct a twenty year study of some of the most successful people in the world to find out if there was a common thread amongst them. What he discovered was that each person he studied had a mindset that forced them to become successful. One of my favorite stories in the book was the gentleman (the name escapes me) that made a decision that he would be a business partner with Thomas Edison. Bear in mind that he had never met Edison nor did he know anyone that knew Edison. In addition he had no way of traveling to Edison's place of business other than stowing away on a freight train, but he made a decision that he would be a partner of Edison's or he would die trying. Well, long story short, after many years of toil he did become a partner of Edison's and went onto achieve fabolous success.

The point here is that you really don't even have to know what you want to achieve in order to get the right mindset. Take the example above, the gentleman that wanted to work with Edison had no clue what he was ultimately going to do with Edison, he just knew that he wanted to work with him.

To summarize, the first step is understanding that the right mindset WILL allow you to build your dream life. Don't over complicate the process, spend time in a quiet place twice per day, at least 10 minutes, turn everything off, and just meditate on what you want to accomplish. By doing this will tap into your subconcious and begin to power your concious mind to focus on and develop plans for how you will accomplish whatever you desire. The mind is such a powerful tool that most of us just don't tap into. Spend some time in deep thought about what you want to accomplish and go about fixating your mind on it, you'll be amazed what you can accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment